The Bishop of Hereford’s Bluecoat School is committed to providing training and professional support to ensure high quality teaching.
We have been an accredited Training School since September 2000.
The school is a centre of excellence for initial teacher training and for continuing professional development (CPD).
This is achieved through:
- A 'Helpline' offering guidance, support and advice for those interested in teaching as a career, entrants to teaching and those supporting their training. Training materials for teaching and associate staff and trainees involved in I.T.T.; NQTs and their mentors and the wider school workforce in Herefordshire schools and beyond through our website
- There are materials for teaching staff relating to the Professional Standards and for associate staff relating to the National Occupational Standards.
- Events and training relating to coaching, mentoring and all sections of the QTS, NQT Induction. The Training School also provides a range of conferences and training materials for those wishing to develop their careers as HLTAs.
- A Careers Conventions stall for students in Herefordshire schools interested in teaching as a career.
- Support materials and training for Returners to Teaching, Supply Teachers and Cover Supervisors.
The Training School supports exploration of all possible routes to gaining Qualified Teacher Status:
Graduate Teacher Programme (GTP)
Career pathway for LSAs > NVQ > Foundation Degree > Higher Degree > PGCE
Our professional development programme covers:
- All staff within the organisation
- Herefordshire schools
- H.E.I. partnerships
- Regional and national partnerships
What are the advantages of training and teaching in a Training School?
- Staff involved in training, coaching and mentoring say that it has improved their own practice and professional development.
- The Training School promotes innovation and disseminates best practice. A termly newsletter is produced - it is available here
- Our Training School enhances the quality of teaching and learning in the school and helps to raise standards.
- Twilight INSET sessions take place which are run by staff and outside speakers.
Staff have increased opportunities for professional development, research and the opportunity to pursue individual award bearing qualifications.